4/01/2007

28/03/07 : Pans Labyrinth



Pans Labyrinth is set around the tail end of the Spanish civil war and revolves around the fantasy world created by an 11 year old girl as an escape to the grim reality of her ‘real life’ living with her step father – a captain in Francos army and undeniably ‘nasty bastard’.

I enjoyed this film although it was not what I was expecting at all. The ‘fantasy’ certainly did not dominate the plot, and an equal amount of focus was given to the relationships within the camp and generally what was going on in the ‘real world’.

At first I slightly wished that there had been more of the fantasy stuff – as the characters and effects were spot on and left me wanting more, but in retrospect I think that the phrase ‘quality rather than quantity’ certainly applies. I felt glad that the director was not tempted to include the rather predictable ‘talking tree‘ and managed to keep it generally quite ‘darkside’.

My favourite character was the dude with the eyes in the palms of his hands (pictured). Difficult to find sunglasses that would fit - but useful when checking if you’ve got enough change for the bus.

That would be a thumbs up from me ….

1 comment:

Field Marshall Flounder said...

Great movie with great gore factor, gotta love the nose being bust up with the bottle :D hehe!