4/16/2007

11/04/07 : Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971)


Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971)

'TAYBRITS' can best be described as a 70s Japanese 'Counterculture' movie from cult director Shuji Terayama. As such, you can expect an exploration of 'youth' themes such as social alienation, sexual liberation, inter-generational conflict and political disengagement, set to a rock soundtrack and with the requisite psychedelic visuals and cinematographic experimentation.

I'm finding it difficult to write this review as I'm afraid the film largely left me indifferent. I struggled to give a damn about any of the characters (especially the female ones who just seemed to be one-dimensional whores) and found the plot weak. I lost interest pretty quickly once the impact of the visual experimentation wore off (and started to give us all a headache!)

The film is also very lengthy, arguably sending it into the realms of extreme self-indulgence. It could well have benefited from a further trip to the cutting room. The more aggravating the scene (remember that 5 minute 'screaming' scene?) the longer they seemed to be able to stretch it out!

Again, opinions are probably divided on this one and I welcome comments from my fellow film-clubbers!

Oh and one last thing - can I propose a film club embargo on scenes of an 'Oriental gang rape' nature? I've kinda hit my limit for this year.

Corporal Tench

1 comment:

Field Marshall Flounder said...

Yus, i agree, it was a tad wanky was this ere movie :/

The phycodelic camera work hurt my head :/