6/25/2007

13/06/07 : The Audition



The Audition 1999

After what can only be described as an excessive length of time spent deliberating over our choice of film for the night we ended up opting for 'The Audition' described as a Japanese 'Perverse Horror'. After all - no one does 'perverse horror' quite like the Japanese. The basic plot is as follows:

A middle aged widower is persuaded by his son to look for a new wife.

He enlists the help of his film producer friend who sets up a series of 'mock auditions' to try and find the perfect match. As you may have guessed - his choice of beau turns out to be far from perfect date and as described on the packet - things take a turn for the perversely horrific in the last 30 minutes.

I was less keen than the rest of the club on this choice. It wasn’t really the perverse horror that bothered me - though granted - its pretty fxckin' twisted at points. It was more that in the second half it becomes 'deliberately abstract' and I guess I just 'didn’t get it!' I must confess to feeling a tad moronic compared to my learned brethren who all seemed to appreciate this film on all sorts of different levels that I couldn’t see. Anyway - make up your own mind..but be warned. This is film is not for the faint hearted or easily offended!

No comments: